|Course Title:||Well Control – Surface Stack (Level 3 & Level 4)|
|Duration:||5 Days – from 08:00 to 16:00|
|Location:||instOG, Innovation Complex, Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman.|
|Participants:(Maximum 6)||This course is intended for personnel in the following rig-based positions:
Senior Toolpusher, Tour Pusher, Driller, Assistant Driller, Derrickman.
Would benefit Drilling Engineers with 1-3 years of operations experience and personnel who will be involved the design, planning, and management of drilling operations.
|Purpose:||The course is designed to provide an overview and awareness for the understanding of Well Control Techniques for surface and subsea BOP installations at supervisor level and driller level according to IWCF standards.
The course combines practical hands on training with the DrillSIM drilling simulator, lecture discussions and theoretical training with a course manual.
The practical simulator sessions will include demonstrations of equipment operations, pipe-handling and drilling operations sequences and will provide the Participants with the opportunity to observe the surface indications on the drilling console displays for changing down hole conditions.
With emphasis on QHS&E, the course will cover the drilling operations topics following common industry policies and Drilling Operations Procedures.
|Objectives:||To be able to:
Show the principles and procedures used in well control operations with a subsea BOP Stack as described in the IWCF Rotary Well Control Surface & Subsea BOP Stack Certification Syllabus
• Use the equipment for well control operations with a subsea BOP Stack as described in the IWCF Rotary Well Control Surface & Subsea BOP Stack Certification Syllabus
Show that a well control situation can be mastered by use of simulator according to IWCF standards.
Obtain sufficient knowledge about the course content to pass a written or online test with minimum 70% score.
|Learning Outcome:||At the end of the courses, Participants should have demonstrated an improved understanding of:
1. Petroleum Geology – Lithology, Sedimentary Formations, Porosity, Permeability
2. Well Design – planning, timelines, lead times, offset well analysis, AFE
3. Well Construction – Casing Setting Depths, Hole Sections
4. Drilling Fluids – Types, Functions and Properties, Drilling Fluid Hydraulics, ECD
5. Tripping and Drilling Operations – Procedures, Warning Signs
6. Formation Evaluation – Mud Logging, Data Acquisition
7. Drilling Problems – Hole Stability, Lost Circulation, Well Control
8. Understanding of problems associated with well control outside of the norm:
Hole pack off, pump problems, losses to formation whilst killing, Hole stability.
|Syllabus:||Participants will be shown the layout, operation and functionality of the discrete controls and functions of the DrillSIM Simulator and Driller’s Workstation.
During practical simulator sessions, emphasis will be given to the potential hazards and problems during normal operation and Participants will be expected to respond to equipment malfunctions, collisions and / or alarms.
The practical simulator exercises will be performed following step by step procedures and will include demonstration of operational sequences where discussions will cover the following topics:
· Risk Assessment
· Consequences of failure to control well
· Well control equipment
· API Recommended Practices and API Specifications
· Introduction to formation pressures and strengths
· Hydrostatic pressure
· Dynamic pressure
· Equivalent Circulating Density
· Gas law & Gas and fluid behaviour
· Causes of kicks & Kick indications
· Casing running and cementing
· Shut-in procedures
· Compensating for Choke Line Friction
· Riser Margin
· kill sheets for vertical wells
· Kill methods and kill problems
· Well control in deviated wells
· kill sheets for deviated to horizontal wells
· Exercise and IWCF Practical Test
· IWCF Principles & Procedures Test
|Media Type:||Instructor Lead Training – Theory Lectures with PowerPoint Presentations|
|Instructor Lead Training – Theory Lectures and Practical Simulation Exercises|
|Computer Based Training – Online and / or CD-Rom based|
|Self Study Learning – Manuals and / or Workbooks|
|Prerequisites:||Recommended admission level is for personnel having already gained a Well Control Certificate at L3 if taking Supervisor level and L2 if taking the L3 Drillers certification, Engineers with field experience and recommended by their Rig manager may be accepted.|
|Items to Bring:||Hand held calculators will be needed for classroom exercises.|
|Assessments:||A theoretical assessment question paper will be performed on each day of the course.
The assessment will confirm if the Participant has met the objectives of the course.
The pass mark for the theoretical question paper is 70%.
|Certification:||Successful completion of the course will result in an IWCF well Control L3 or L4 certification.|
|Revalidation:||Requirements for revalidation are every 2 years.|