Well Integrity – Cased Hole Logging and Monitoring
Sub-Discipline Discipline Modality Course Level Course duration
Cased Hole Log Interpretation Petrophysics
Classroom Advanced 5 Day
- This course teaches how to monitor and diagnose wellbore integrity with the aid of cased hole logging tools. You will learn to:
- Identify and quantify leak detection, leaks inside and behind the casing. Evaluate inter-zone cross flow caused by uneven depletion,
- Theory and interpretations of the various cement evaluation tools offered by all the vendors.
- Detailed field examples covering every aspect of poor cement bonding and the applications/limitations of each tool. Understand the various mechanisms causing corrosion and the factors that induces these various mechanisms.
- Corrosion Monitoring: Will cover a whole range of corrosion monitoring tools available from the various vendors. This includes EMT, MTD, Ultrasonic Casing Thickness (UCT), MultiFinder calliper and flux-leakage tools.
- Cathodic Protection: How to design and evaluate cathodic protection systems. Perforation conveyance, perforation types and perforation efficiency.
Topics Covered Audience
This course is a must for all production and completion engineers. Petrophysicists will benefit greatly from this course covers most of the cased hole data acquisition. The interpretation processes of the various data used involves little mathematics. No previous cased hole knowledge or special expertise is needed.
Greater than 2 years of experience interpreting cased hole logs or attendance in the Intermediate Production Logging and Reservoir Monitoring course is recommended
- Introduction to Well Integrity: Why Monitor Well Integrity? Overview: Problems causing well integrity
- Depth control in cased hole.
- Well Head Pressure Control.
- Well Head pressure variations with time, caused by depletion, gas lift and the variations in the borehole fluid contents.
- Leak Detection tools:
- Noise logs.
- Temperature logs.
- Oxygen activation to measure water flow.
- Communication Testing to check zonal isolation.
- Spontaneous Potential Electro-Kinetic anomalies. Borehole spinner
1-hour Workshop on leak detection.
- Primary Cementing. Squeeze Cementing.
- Cement Evaluation Tools. This includes:
- Basic Cement Bond Log and Variable Density Log.
- BHGE Family of tools: SBT, INTeX, RAL
- Ultrasonic Imaging.
- Isolation Scanner.
- Through Tubing Cement Evaluation (SCMT)
- Field Examples of cement evaluations.
- Most (90%) of corrosion takes place on the casing outer wall. Cement quality effects on initiation corrosion and on the rate of corrosion.
1-hour Workshop on Cement Evaluation.
- Corrosion Mechanisms: Various Corrosion Mechanisms
- Galvanic Corrosion: Includes galvanic, pitting, crevice and uniform corrosion. Chemical Corrosion- this is mainly caused by H2S and CO2 Corrosion.
- Stress corrosion: the effect of casing stresses on corrosion propagation.
- Multimedia display of the various corrosion mechanisms.
- Outline of the various factors that initiates and propagates the various corrosion mechanisms. Corrosion Monitoring
- The physics of the various corrosion Monitoring Tools: This includes-
- Electromagnetic thickness measurement; this includes the EMT tool of Schlumberger and the Gowell Magnetic Thickness Tool (MTD).
- UCT: Ultrasonic Casing Thickness imager.
- Flux Leakage Tools.
- Electric Current Leakage tool:
- This covers the Cathodic Protection and Evaluation Tool (CPET)
- Cathodic Protection:
- Outline of the theory and applications of cathodic protection.
- Detailed field examples.
- Types of explosives; hardware, primary and secondary explosives.
- Perforation conveyance.
- Perforations Efficiency.
- Overbalanced and underbalanced perforations
1-hour Workshop on Cathodic Protection.
- Temperature Logging Tools and their applications under shut-in and flowing conditions.
- Temperature signatures.
- Temperature data base application.
- Signatures in Lost circulation zones.
- Temperature modelling is used to estimate flowrates in oil and water producing zones.
- Permanent Temperature sensors. Fibre Optics temperature sensors. Theory and applications.
- Field Examples
1-hour Workshop on temperature profiling.
- Uneven Depletion and resulting Crossflow:
- Causes of uneven depletion.
- Modelling of uneven depletion.
- Basic Production Logging
- Spinner Calibrations.
- Using 2 chokes to estimate Productivity Index.
- Estimating Productivity index (PI) and reservoir pressure (Pr) for each zone Estimating the inter-zone crossflow caused by uneven depletion
- Water and Gas Coning:
- Basics of water and gas coning.
- Detection of conning.
- Coning evaluations and field examples.
1-hour Workshop on Uneven Depletion and on Coning.